Thursday, April 7, 2016

How to Pattern Fabric with Rubber Stamps


One thing I've always wanted to do when I began carving stamps was learn how to use them on fabric or canvas. And when I set out to do it, finding the right materials and figuring out the process was a lot easier than I expected. I've compiled this tutorial so that hopefully the process can be just as quick and simple for you, too!


Materials::

►Paint brush or brayer
►A small plate 
►A Jacquard Textile of your choice
►Fabric (I am using linen in this tutorial)



Start off by mixing the textile paint in the jar, and pouring out a small amount. I only poured out about 3 tablespoons of paint, and it was sufficient for more than 15 stampings. Use your brush to dip lightly into the paint, and brush onto your stamp. Another option is to use a brayer to apply the paint to your stamp, but I like the brush's texture, as these details do transfer, and create earthier looking fabric.


Space out your patterns as you'd desire. I like to get edges and corners so that the pattern looks like it continues off the fabric. Jacquard Textile Paint is excellent because it stamps cleanly, dries quickly, and lasts through many laundry washes. You can also see the fine details and brush texture it picks up in the images below:




There you have it. Now you have a custom fabric marked with your own pattern. Go enjoy your newfound skill by making something beautiful! I plan to make tea towels, and perhaps a few tote bags. What do you plan to make? 






No comments:

Post a Comment